- Wendy Williams
Five Fantastic Finds For Families-Jan 23
January Edition 2023
Williams Educational Consultants shares five educational topics that offer wisdom, guidance, and fun for the entire family on the fourth Friday of every month.
I stepped away from the office and joined my friend and team member, Carol Molino, an IEC who specializes in the college admissions process. I am so proud of her and her students. We work very closely and always share thoughts and ideas. Our combined efforts make me think about Hellen Keller's words: "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." A company is only as extraordinary as its people and I am fortunate to have Carol on the college admission side!
5 Wise Words From Wendy:
1. Prepare. Williams Educational Consultants believes in preparing students for their future. We break down the admissions process to prepare for each step of the journey. From discovering one's interest to conversations about academic fit, community, finances, goals, and more,
2. Plan. Begin the month of February by creating a checklist of people in your life to who you want to thank or show gratitude. Try to find 28 people, one per day!
3. Relax. Staying mindful is a great way to reduce stress. At the bottom of this newsletter, you will find "Mindfulness Moment#7: Grace" by Angela Cominos Koehler.
4. Support. You are most successful when you work with others who challenge you, teach you and share your passion. Spend February preparing for success. Find someone who believes in your passion and wants to be part of your story.
5. Love. Y'all, it's February; what better month than now to show your love for others? Skip the Hallmark cards, the chocolate, and the flowers. Instead, spend time with those you care about the most, and reach out to serve others this month so they can feel joy in their hearts.
4 Current Conversations: Here are some great topics that create some of the hottest current conversations: 1. "A full AI takeover is not imminent, according to experts." Insider AND Princeton student finds away for schools to check!
2. MBTI studies Introverts and Conflict. Read about it here.
3. 78 year old explorer encourages students to follow their dreams.
4. The SAT will soon go all-digital.
3 School Snippets: Colleges often give great information on their sites:
1. Purdue University on Summer Programs.
2. University of Mary Washington advises Juniors.
3. Some colleges have great traditions, learn about Villanova Singers, an all male chorus group and their Valentines Day Tradition.
2 Private School Plugs: A section to focus on local private schools in metro Atlanta:
1. 2023 Ultimate guide - a great guide to options locally.
2. Parents seeking a charter school: Great resource
1 Recipe Randomness:
Surprise your favorite people with a new tradition this Valentine’s Day! Simply put some red food coloring in your favorite pancake recipe and favorite milk! It will make for a memorable and festive holiday!
Mindfulness Moment #7:Grace
“Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn, or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.”- Denis Waitley
I don’t set new year’s resolutions every year, as it indicates I am fixing something already broken. I do choose a word to define my intent, purpose and actions. My word for 2023 is GRACE - the ability to give and receive grace. I am most attracted to the idea of giving myself grace. It is easy for me to coach others to accept their mistakes as a part of the growing process and learn from them, but why is it so hard for me to give myself the same freedom, the same grace? Grace means giving yourself permission to forgive your mistakes, lapses in judgment, and hurtful behavior because we are imperfect beings. Sometimes we don't show up as our best selves. Sometimes words are said or action are done or undone and we wish we could change it, but we cannot. The only thing you can do is look at yourself in the same way you do others and accept YOU for being perfectly imperfect. It is what makes you unique. So, as you proceed in this new year in your classes, tests, relationships, give yourself the gift of grace.
Challenge- How can you treat yourself with a bit more grace this month?
Do you want more mindfulness and wellness in your life? Contact Angie for a Well-being coaching session or yoga and/ or meditation session. To purchase her book, please click here.