Five Fantastic Finds For Families - 5/2022
May Edition 2022
Williams Educational Consultants shares five educational topics that offer wisdom, guidance, and fun for the entire family on the fourth Friday of every month!
5 Wise Words From Wendy:
1. Prepare. School is over, and summer is here, but before you get too soaked up by the sun, help your student prepare a timeline for their summer school work. Many students from Kindergarten to seniors have required readings, math packets, and other projects to be completed for the upcoming school year. Prepare for August now!
2. Plan. Juniors and seniors should plan for college visits (see a great article regarding parent do's and don'ts college visits!) and determine test dates as soon as possible to avoid slipping up and forgetting in the fall.
3. Relax. Wherever you live, spend time exploring nature's beauty. Go to a nearby park, a zoo, or somewhere that you and your student can relax together in nature. Teaching children how to relax is just as crucial as teaching time management skills!
4. Support. Now is a great time to discuss with your student where they might have benefited from extra support this past year. Are there any areas your student might need to address before the new academic year? For instance, that unit on fractions or how to conjugate verbs in French?
5. Love. May is a great month to share your love for your child by packing a picnic (great recipe below for your picnic basket), planning a stay-cation, or simply celebrating your student's academic year. Love on your student always!
4 Current Conversations: Here are some great topics that create some of the hottest current conversations:
1. Have you ever wondered which type of calculator to use for standardized testing?
2. Find out the average starting salary for recent graduates here and the upcoming trends.
3. Do you think Idaho is the only one feeling the surge in enrollment?
4. More on AP Exams. Do not send them until you review your score in July!
3 School Snippets Colleges often give advice on their sites:
1. Check out Georgia's admissions stats across the Peach State!
2. Princeton University advises on how to apply to college.
3. Lynn University offers great information on support in the classroom with links to further learn about the accommodans in college.
2 Private School Plugs A section to focus on local private schools in metro Atlanta:
1. If you didn't see this article in March, Mt. Vernon is ranked 8th in Atlanta!
2. Lovett's new grading philosophy.
1 Recipe Randomness
Crunchy Turkey Pita Pockets (makes 2 servings)
1 cup diced cooked turkey or chicken breast
1/2 cup packaged coleslaw mix
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup shredded carrots
2 tablespoons reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise
1 tablespoon honey mustard
2 whole-wheat pita breads
Combine turkey/chicken, coleslaw mix, cranberries, carrots, mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl; mix well
Cut pita breads in half; fill with turkey mixture
Undoubtedly like you, I am heartbroken and overwhelmed with sadness for all families and the entire community of Uvalde, TX. There are resources available to you in working with your children as we all feel the effects of this horrible tragedy:
The above resources were provided by the Independent Educational Consultant Association.