Five Fantastic Finds For Families- 2/23
Updated: Mar 24
February Edition 2023
Finding joy in my career has been easy because nothing can beat helping others create positive solutions for their future. Since 1997 I have been actively engaged and continuously learning about the world of education, admissions, and how to coach clients through their questions and concerns. Traveling to colleges and programs, discussing education with professionals, counselors, and families, and reading articles, emails, and books keep me engaged, informed, and excited to be in my chosen career. Thank you to all the clients who have trusted Williams Educational. Our absolute joy is helping you choose wisely!
Williams Educational Consultants shares five educational topics that offer wisdom, guidance, and fun for the entire family on the fourth Friday of every month.
5 Wise Words From Wendy:
1. Prepare. February is a great time to plan for essay writing. Common App questions should be available in March, if not before! To prepare for their release, check out Williams Educational's blogs in February, which focus on writing!
2. Plan. Begin the month of March by creating a checklist for your spring break! Is it filled with adventure, relaxation, or outside activities? Time to get excited about spring!
3. Relax. Staying mindful is a great way to reduce stress. At the bottom of this newsletter, you will find Mindfulness Moment#8: Love" by Angela Cominos Koehler.
4. Support. It is an excellent month for juniors to consider College Admissions & Letters of Recommendation. Be thinking about who will best support you by writing a letter filled with words about your character, classroom engagement, community involvement, key personality preferences, and who can write well!
5. Love. Being heartfelt is not just about saying the right words. It is also about showing compassion, empathy, and kindness towards others. By displaying these habits, you can cultivate a more heartfelt and meaningful March.
4 Current Conversations: Here are topics that can create great conversations: 1. Tips on how to perform well on standardized testing day!
2. Students are finding it more difficult to wear the color orange!!
3. A great podcast for all to hear! Truth About College Admissions
4. One study looks at college applications to see who is fibbing?
3 School Snippets: Colleges often give great information on their sites:
1. University of Michigan helps families by giving advice on scholarship and financial aid.
2. K - State helps aviation students learn more about type of courses and flight program.
3. Augustana gives ten tips for campus visits - great info before spring break!
2 K-12 School Plugs: A section to focus on schools in metro Atlanta:
1. Brian Jordan is doing great things in the classroom! If you are interested in having him come to your school, contact Williams Educational Consultants!
2. Atlanta Parent offers insight into private options in metro-Atlanta.
1 Recipe Randomness: Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad
4 cups (1.3 pounds; 550g) cubed(1/2-inch dice) sweet potatoes, roasted
1 and 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 cups (190g) quinoa, cooked (1 cup uncooked)
5 cups (4.4 oz.; 125g) fresh baby spinach, chopped
1 large avocado, chopped
1/3 cup (50g) dried sweetened cranberries
4 tablespoons (59g) red wine vinegar
1 and 1/2 tablespoons (26g) Dijon mustard, do not use regular mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon EACH: dried basil, honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large lemon (3 tablespoons juice)
Mindfulness Moment #8: LOVE
“How do you spell ‘love’?” -Piglet “You don’t spell it you feel it.” -Pooh
February is the perfect representation of love. It is the month of Valentine's Day when we celebrate those we love. If you are open to it, you can find love everywhere as Hugh Grant states in one of my favorite movies, Love Actually, "If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around." I believe our purpose is to give and receive love- to BE love and to practice self-love just as you express your love to others. Challenge yourself this month to see how you can live more from the heart, rather than the mind, and react in a more patient loving way stopping the critical words and laying down the armor protecting you from softening. Open your eyes to see and your heart to feel the love all around you. In the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Write it in your heart, that every day is the best day of the year." Perhaps even carve out some time to write a personal letter to someone you care about telling them what you appreciate about them.
How can you express your love to yourself and others this month?