October Edition 2022
Williams Educational Consultants shares five educational topics that offer wisdom, guidance, and fun for the entire family on the fourth Friday of every month.
5 Wise Words From Wendy:
1. Prepare. Days can be hectic and tiring. Find one thing that you can do to prepare for your day. No one wants a day filled with drama! Try to visualize your day first thing in the morning by preparing your mindset for a calm, peaceful day. Sit on your bedside or the floor, close your eyes and walk yourself through the eight hours before you. Visualize success and prepare your mind for a peaceful, productive day.
2. Plan. November is a great time to plan for outdoor walks! Have you seen the leaves? This time of the year is picture-perfect, even as far north as Connecticut. Get outside, walk your dog, listen to the rustle of the leaves and breathe in that excellent fall air! The average American walks around 1.5 miles a day. So be a goal crusher this November, and try to walk more!
3. Relax. Staying mindful is a great way to reduce stress. At the bottom of this newsletter, you will find "Mindfulness Moment#3: Self-Appreciation," by Angela Cominos Koehler.
4. Support. Social support and social interaction have a positive influence on your physical and mental health. Find ways that you enjoy being supported. For example, do you like talking to others, spending time at the movies, shopping, or eating a meal with someone? Find the right amount of social connection for you and accept support from others.
5. Love. 4-letters that make life richer, L-O-V-E. After 25 years of guidance, my mentor passed at 94. She was loved and respected by all who knew her. Attending her funeral in New York this past month, I gave my love and respect to her family and friends. I encourage you all to love more and to appreciate all those who are mentors and teachers in your life. Love on them with thank you cards, texts, or phone calls. Be mindful of who you love, and don't forget to show it!
4 Current Conversations: Here are some great topics that create some of the hottest current conversations:
2. Admissions based on major selection.
3. Are you applying as a Homeschool Student?
4. Class of 2025 can prepare for SAT Digital.
3 School Snippets: Colleges often give great information on their sites:
1. Learn from the students at Whitman.
2. Liberty University explains best tips on essay writing.
3. Tips on submitting interview video.
2 Private School Plugs: A section to focus on local private schools in metro Atlanta:
1. Holy Innocents PEAK Institute
2. Go International with Walker.
1 Recipe Randomness:
1 Bag White Choclate Chips
24 Pretzel Rods
Black Writing Gel
Melt white chocolate chips in microwave in 30 second increments until completely melted
Spoon melted chocolate chips over pretzel rods (over bowl) until 1/2-3/4 covered
Place pretzel rods on waxed paper covered cookie sheet and place in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes
Once chocolate is set, draw SPOOKY eyes and mouth with black writing gel. BOO!
Mindfulness Moment #4: Self-Appreciation
"Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you! Shout loud ‘I am lucky to be what I am.’” – Dr. Seuss
How many times do you compliment a friend on their outfit, hair, or art creation? How many times do we look at ourselves with the same loving and supportive spirit? When was the last time you gave yourself a compliment? For the next week give someone else and YOUSElF a daily compliment. Take the time to really appreciate the work you have condone on your essays, your choice of schools, personal outfit or your new haircut. Feel what it is like to treat YOU as you would your best friend. In the words of Beene Brown “Talk to yourself like someone you love.”
How can you appreciate YOURSELF this month?